[Mediawiki-l] Missing session_start in SpecialUpload?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Feb 1 05:35:22 UTC 2006

I recently installed mediawiki 1.5.6 on apache 2.0.53 and php 4.3.11 on
Fedora Core 3.

I've been having issues with the Special:Upload page, when attempting to
upload a new version of a file that already exists. It seems that some
data is passed from the file upload the first time it's hit (which saves
the upload to a temp file) to the confirmation page via the $_SESSION
variable.

However, $_SESSION isn't getting set on the confirmation page (or
rather, the page that's invoked when I click the "save anyway" button on
the "do you really want to save over the existing file" page)

It seems that there's a missing call to session_start...

If I edit includes/SpecialUpload.php, class UploadForm, function
UploadForm (constructor) and add "session_start();" prior to first
referencing $_SESSION, then everything works just fine.

Is this really a bug, or do I have something horribly screwed in my
configuration? Looking back at the CVS history, the usage of $_SESSION,
especially isset( $_SESSION['wsUploadData'][$this->mSessionKey] ) dates
back about 14 months, which seems a long time for this to have gone
unnoticed?

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks.