[Mediawiki-l] Incorporating blog-like "Comments"

Morten Blaabjerg morten at crewscut.com
Fri Dec 1 23:02:33 UTC 2006

There's been several attempts at making Blog type extensions, take a look at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:MediaWiki_extensions
Although AFAIK there's nothing in the true vein of what you describe.

I've been looking for something similar, but in the end I just came to the
conclusion that a wiki and a blog is two quite different things.

MediaWiki in particular was designed to split the content of a page and the
discussion into two distinct pages. This has advantages, if you want to keep
a distinction between "front end" and "back end" of the system. I've seen a
lot of other wikis where everything is kept on the same page. In a sense,
they are more true to the original wiki idea than MW, in that they keep
process and content together in the same context, which makes things a lot
simpler. MW has a lot of strength though, in making an informal page where
"everything is allowed", as opposed to the "encyclopedic article" page where
things has to be presented by the book. It all depends on the project.

If you want a blog, better go with a blog-friendly system. A blog-tool is
great for getting a message out quickly and discussing it. A wiki is an
incredibly strong collaborative working environment. Which do you want the
more? There's no reason both couldn't coexist, using CSS and some kind of
common structure.

Best wishes,
Morten :-)

--