[Mediawiki-l] Footnotes using Cite.php

Azurite anzu.kaiba at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 07:06:41 UTC 2006

In need of some sort of a system to create Footnotes, I scrounged around
until I found the Cite.php option, referenced here:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cite/Cite.php I downloaded both files
listed on that page (Cite.php and Cite.i18n.php) and uploaded them to my
extensions folder in my MediaWiki. I also edited my LocalSettings.php to
include the line: include('$IP/extensions/Cite.php');
The line that references $IP at LocalSettings.php reads: $IP =
"/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific";
where "blahblah" is my real root which I do not wish to disclose.
At first, I got some errors, such as this one:

Warning: main($IP/extensions/Cite.php): failed to open stream: No such
file or directory in
/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific/LocalSettings.php on line 110

Warning: main($IP/extensions/Cite.php): failed to open stream: No such
file or directory in
/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific/LocalSettings.php on line 110

Warning: main(): Failed opening '$IP/extensions/Cite.php' for inclusion
(include_path='.:/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific:/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific/includes:/home/blahblah/public_html/wikific/languages')
in /home/blahblah/public_html/wikific/LocalSettings.php on line 110

....but I realized it was because Cite.i18n.php was improperly named on
my server. Once I resolved that, I expected the page on which I'd
footnotes... yet it doesn't. I don't get an error or anything, but it
just continues to display the tags as if they're part of the article
text. (The article:
http://www.seventh-star.net/wikific/index.php/1980_Decanates)

I am running a version of MediaWiki compatible with this extension
(1.6.7; the extension says it works with 1.6.x).

What can I do to get this system working?

~Azurite