[Mediawiki-l] access-restriction to sub-wikis

Alexander Scholler alexander.scholler at augsburg.de
Fri Aug 11 06:24:01 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I want our wiki-installation to be used by different teams within our
organization.

* Main-Wiki should be RW for all authorized users
* team-specific Sub-wikis should be RW for team-members, but should not
be readable through none-team-members.

I partly achieved this by
* creating sub-wikis
* and restricting access to these sub-wikis to specific user-groups

I now have the following problem:
* Searches can be performed within the sub-wikis by all users. The
search-results include article-snippets - this must be prevented - how?
* File-uploads cannot be made exclusive for a specific sub-wiki. That
means I cannot upload a PDF to be used -only- within a access-restricted
sub-wiki, because the upload is done within the images-sub-wiki which is
shared by all users. Is this right?

I think there is not really a good solution for my described "problems"
available, because mediawiki is not designed for access-restriction I
aim to (using access-restricted sub-wikis by specific teams).

And advices welcome!

Thanks in advance, Alex