[Mediawiki-l] Apple's Wiki Server brings WYSIWYG to wiki

MHart wiki at matthart.com
Tue Aug 8 15:32:37 UTC 2006

Intuit uses MediaWiki in the majority of its internal wikis - over 100. We
have one MediaWiki running with fck. Some groups are migrating to Jotspot
since it provides wysiwyg.

The lack of wysiwyg is indeed a hurdle for contributors. Even at a "techie"
company like Intuit, half the potential contributors see wikitext as a
hurdle.

This number likely reflects the rest of the world - it wouldn't surprise me
if many potential Wikipedia contributors are also stymied by wikitext. Do
you have the number of Edit clicks that didn't then result in a Save? That
might be a decent indicator of first-time contribution attempts that failed
for some reason - possibly intimidated by wikitext.

The one wiki we have with fck was an add-on to an existing wiki and
encountered the compatibility issues Brion mentioned. However, just as the
community cleans up wikitext pages, the community cleaned up the conversion
issues - just as they would in Wikipedia.

You get the closest conversion that you can and then people will clean up
what remains.

- MHart