[Mediawiki-l] MySQL (?) error when installing MediaWiki 1.6.3

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Thu Apr 27 08:11:10 UTC 2006

Mediawiki-l,

Hello. I am attempting to install my first MediaWiki. I am very familiar
with PHP/MySQL/HTML, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Please accept
my apologies if I have missed something obvious.

I have a home testing environment for my web sites, which is Linux
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06, where I am installing the Wiki.

I've encountered a problem which I can not find specific information for
in the MediaWiki documentation. The error output of the installation of
MediaWiki 1.6.3 is below:

    * PHP 4.4.2-1build1 installed
    *
      Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. Disable it if
you can.
      MediaWiki will work, but your server is more exposed to PHP-based
security vulnerabilities.
    * PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs
(index.php/Page_Title)
    * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
    * PHP's memory_limit is 8M. If this is too low, installation may
fail! Attempting to raise limit to 20M... ok.
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Neither Turck MMCache nor eAccelerator are installed, can't use
object caching functions
    * Found GNU diff3: /usr/bin/diff3.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory: /home/dave/web_sites/gutteridge.info/web
    * Script URI path: /web_sites/gutteridge.info/web
    * Environment checked. You can install MediaWiki.

      Generating configuration file...
    * Database type: mysql
    * Attempting to connect to database server as root...success.
    * Connected to 4.1.15-Debian_1ubuntu5-log
    * Created database wikidb
    * Creating tables... using MySQL 4 table defs...Query "CREATE TABLE
`gw_job` ( job_id int(9) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, job_cmd
varchar(255) NOT NULL default '', job_namespace int NOT NULL, job_title
varchar(255) binary NOT NULL, job_params blob NOT NULL default '',
PRIMARY KEY job_id (job_id), KEY (job_cmd, job_namespace, job_title) )
TYPE=InnoDB " failed with error code "Specified key was too long; max
key length is 1024 bytes (localhost)".

    After this, in phpMyAdmin, I can see that the database has been
created. Although I am not sure if it is installed in entirety or not.

    If I go back to the directory where the MediaWiki is being
installed, it prompts me to install MediaWiki before proceeding,
indicating that it has not fully installed under its own terms.

    I hope this is a simple error and someone can help me out. Please
let me know if there is more information I need to provide.

    Thank you.

--
Dave M G