[Mediawiki-l] Forced to create template

Gary Kirk gary.kirk at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:53:17 UTC 2006

I don't run my own MediaWiki server, but I use a wikifarm service. On,
for example, Wikipedia, I can include the contents of one page on
another - i.e. on my userpage, add {{User:Garykirk/ArticlesIStarted}}
. However, on my wiki, doing this simply produces red links. I have to
create, for example, {{Template:User:Garykirk/ArticlesIStarted}},
which moves it all into the Template namespace. It's very silly, and I
don't why this is necessary. Is it some extension, hook or whatever
running on Wikimedia Foundation servers? The wikifarm I use is
currently running MediaWiki 1.5.

Any help would be much appreciated!
--
Gary Kirk