[Mediawiki-l] How do I partially lock the database?

Rotem Liss mail at rotemliss.com
Wed Apr 5 08:14:13 UTC 2006

You can block the people from editing every page, with the following
lines in LocalSettings.php:

$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["user"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["sysop"]["edit"] = false;

However it will also stop people from editing talk pages.

You also can block the user creations, so users won't be able to
register at all (except with permission by you), and anonymous users
won't be able to edit:

$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["edit"] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions["*"]["createaccount"] = false;

Again, it will stop them from editing talk pages.

However, there are two more permissions - "createpage" and "createtalk"
- which are seperated. You can ask in Bugzilla to add seperate
permissions - "editpage" and "edittalk" - for this purpose. You can also
develop it in your code.

As for the "lock database" of the developers: as far as I understand,
there is no developer permission in the downloaded MediaWiki (it's an
extension, I think, and so is the permission to lock databases), and the
"lock database" affects talk pages as well as content pages.

rotemliss