[Mediawiki-l] How do I partially lock the database?

Garrett Baumgartner baumgarg at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 5 01:48:58 UTC 2006

How do I protect the database in Mediawiki such that people in the Sysop
group can edit the database normally, but regular users can only edit Talk
pages?  Would this involve somehow protecting specific namespaces (e.g.,
everything except Talk)?  Is it even possible?  I don't want the database to
be editable by just anyone off the internet but I do want it to be editable
to anyone I trust enough to give sysopness.

Also, what precisely does the dev-level "lock database" do?  Can the person
with developer permissions still edit the database?  Are the talk pages
unaffected?  I can't check because it didn't ask me to set up a dev account
when I installed it (it did give me a bureaucrat / sysop though).  I am
looking at the table in PhpMyAdmin and the rows my default account has are:

1 bureaucrat
1 sysop

I tried adding another row for user 1 with the user group "developer" but
that didn't work.  I renamed it to "dev" and that didn't work either.  What
group is it?

Thanks.

- Garrett