[Mediawiki-l] Personal wiki

Markus Krötzsch mak at aifb.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Apr 4 12:31:26 UTC 2006

On Saturday 01 April 2006 15:06, Amit Vyas wrote:
> If you want to stop any network user to surf your personal Wiki Following
> command will stop anyone from accessing your HTTP port
>
>  iptables -A INPUT -s 0/0 -i eth0 -p TCP --dport 80 -j DENY

In addition, you can configure the wiki to let only your local user access any
pages in any way, and then configure a (probably not very secure) auto-login
for localhost. At the end of your LocalSettings, try:

### User permissions: take all privileges from anonymous users
$wgWhitelistRead = array( "Special:Userlogin", "-",
"MediaWiki:Monobook.css" );
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['edit'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['createaccount'] = false;
$wgGroupPermissions['*']['read'] = false;

# not secure but good enough :-)
$wgHooks['AutoAuthenticate'][] = 'authenticateLocalUser';
function authenticateLocalUser($user) {
        global $wgServer;
        if ($wgServer == 'http://localhost') {
                $user = User::newFromName('yourusername');
        }
}

where you replace "yourusername" with the actual user. Similar settings also
work nicely if you still want to allow yourself or some others to access your
wiki remotely, which is not possible when completely blocking the wiki with a
firewall.

Cheers,

Markus