[Mediawiki-l] Personal wiki

Max Völkel voelkel at fzi.de
Mon Apr 3 13:09:12 UTC 2006

> I would like to setup a wiki on my notebook for my study and research
> notes and book excerpts. Puzzling around with hundreds of text files is
> quite unsatisfactory.  Besides, having used wikipedia online for a while
> my way of thinking started to be wikified ;-)

I  encourage  you to do this! I use a local wiki for about2 years now,
havin  about  3000 pages - and I still like it. What I do not like, is
that  my  wiki  is  a  bit  dumb. That's why we create an extension to
MediaWiki,  called  Semantic  MediaWiki  [1],  which  allows  to use a
(quite)  simple syntax to state link types. This open a whole world of
structuring  abilities  that goes beyond categories. Youn can have RDF
export  of your wiki and then do SPARQL queries on you knowledge. It's
like  creating  a  database  foru  your  stuff on the fly without ever
thinking about the tables. You just write on the page of "Berlin":
 ... is the [[captial of::Germany]] ... then, later you can query your
 wiki  for  "*, captial of, Germany" and get Berlin back. That'S quite
 different from a keyword or backlink search. It's like the next step.
 It's  easy  to  install,  too.  You just install MediaWiki and then a
 MediaWiki extension [2]. Enjoy!

 [1] about & demo: http://wiki.ontoworld.org
 [2]     software:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/semediawiki

Kind regards,

  Max Völkel
--
Dipl.-Inform. Max Völkel, Universität Karlsruhe / FZI
            nepomuk.semanticdesktop.org

First Workshop on Semantic Wikis: http://semwiki.org