[Mediawiki-l] mediawiki 1.4 & 1.5rc4, substring search, how?

Wolfgang Zsalcsik wolfgang.zsalcsik at space.at
Thu Sep 22 08:40:48 UTC 2005

Thanks for your post, Maurice.
Unfortunately the question is still unanswered.
The issue is not wildcards or no wildcards.
The problem - which I also experienced and could not fix jet - occurs when
the user only enters a substring without knowing the full word.
In WikiPedia you will find "Timesheets" by searching for "Time","Times",
"Timesheet" or the full word "Timesheets"
In the MediaWiki default installation it does not work:
Only searching for "Timesheets" (i.e. the exact phrase) will return a hit.

The question of Thomas was
What must I do to get this work as it does in Wikipedia?
And so is mine!

Best regards
Thank you for your time and help.
Wolfgnag

Maurice Joseph wrote:

> No regular expressions or wildcards
>
> You cannot use regular expressions or wildcards such as ? or *. If you don't
> know what that is, don't worry about it. To search for pages with the words
> "boat" or "boats" search like this: "boat or boats".
>
> See reference here - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Searching
>
> Maurice Joseph
> SpikeSource, Inc
> developer.spikesource.com
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have read all mediawiki pages, that talk about searching in mediawiki.
> >
> > Can you tell me how to enable a substring-search in mediawiki 1.5rc4?
> >
> > When i write in the search box "austin" , then the software found the word,
> > but when i write
> > "austi*", the last character replace to a wildcard, then the software found
> > nothing.
> >
> > The Database MYSQL 4.1.13 find the string in the searchindex table (tested
> > with my own select). I have checked the
> > query with logging and in the query is no wildcard. The searchengine has
> > delete the wildcard .
> >
> > In the software of Wikipedia is working correct.
> >
> > What must i do, then the software is working correct?
> >
> > Thank you for your time and help.
> >
> > Mit freundlichen Grüssen / Kind regards
> >
> > i.A. Thomas  Klein
> > OPS Koordination / OPS coordination
> >
> > EAE software GmbH
> > Kornkamp 8
> > 22926 Ahrensburg/Germany
> >
> > Tel :     +49 4102/480-513
> > Fax:     +49 4102/480-561
> > e-mail:  mailto:klein.thomas at eae.com
> > http://www.eae.com/

                            \\\//
                           ( o o )
 ----------------------oOOo--(_)--oOOo-----------------------
|  ___    ___ ____  _     _____ ____   ____  ___  __  ____   |
| \   \/\/   / __ \| |   |  ___/ __/_ /  _ \|   \|  |/ __/_  |
|  \   /\   / |__| | |___|  _|| |__  |   _  |  \ \  | |__  | |
|   \_/  \_/ \____/|_____|_|   \____/|__| |_|__|\___|\____/  |
|     _____  _____   ____  _     ____  _____  __ __  ___     |
|    <____ |/  ___> /  _ \| |   /  __//  ___>|  |  |/  /     |
|    /  ___/\____ \|   _  | |__|  |__ \____ \|  |     <      |