[Mediawiki-l] Re: External editor support.

Jim Higson jh at 333.org
Thu Oct 13 09:19:44 UTC 2005

Jamie Bliss wrote:

> Jim Higson wrote:
>> Can anyone give advice on the new external editor features, maybe
>> mediawiki could see my project as an external editor? I've found some
>> pages about this, but not any real documentation of the interface on the
>> http/soap/whatever level.
>
> [[m:Help:External editors/Tech]] talks about the data format.
>
> Basically, when a user clicks on an edit link (or a request with
> &externaledit=true is made), it will send this file (with the mentioned
> MIME type) as the body of the response. The idea is to associate this
> type with an app that can understand it.

Thanks Jamie.

Is that the whole story...? So, is it the role of the external editor to do
the uploading etc when the editing is finished? This seems unlikely since
very few editors will know how to do this. If so, how are editTokens etc
handled?

You probably know what I'm thinking. Although I'll try URL encoding first,
if external editors do all this they might be an elegant solution to my
problems saving.