[Mediawiki-l] Wikipedia's version of MediaWiki (was: save on first edit)

Martin Jambon martin_jambon at emailuser.net
Fri Nov 11 19:14:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, jdd wrote:

> Martin Jambon wrote:
>
>> If you want to know the version of the software running the mediawiki, go
>> to "Special pages" and then to "Version" or directly to
>> [[Special:Version]].
>
> yes, this I know, but I use 4-5 different mediawikis on different platforms
> (mostly not owned by me) and of different version. I don't remember which
> have the problem. seems to me it's on wikipedia (pretty sure), so probably
> 1.6... but I have had this many times for a long period.

That's weird, it doesn't even have email notifications (or they are
well-hidden). I am wondering which version of MediaWiki is actually in use
in Wikipedia, and how the transfer from one version to another is
performed. Since the database structure changed between 1.4 and 1.5, how
do people handle upgrades of MediaWiki at Wikipedia? Is there really an
upgrade or just a carefully patched version which remains compatible with
older versions of MediaWiki?

Thanks for any insights into this,

Martin

--