[Mediawiki-l] After installing wikimedia I am getting weird errors

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon May 30 22:04:34 UTC 2005

Ext-Munish.Mittal at nokia.com wrote:
> I have installed basic requirements using EasyPHP on windows2000 and then installed wikimedia.
>
> There are some steps written in installation help on wikimedia.org site :-
> 	Edit /includes/DefaultSettings.php
> 	As the first variable declaration, insert $IP="{Actual Pathname of MediaWiki}" e.g $IP = "C:\\EasyPHP\\www\\mediawiki" (note the double backslashes)

The installation should have already have done exactly this. Did
something go wrong? What exactly was the problem?

> 	Change stylepath to $wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/stylesheets";

Why would you do this? That was the old path on 1.3 and earlier, but no
longer exists with the MediaWiki distribution in 1.4.

> 	Remove all curly brackets inside strings - anything like "{$this}/foo" should be "$this/foo"

Why would you do this? It will either have no effect (where the
following character is eg a slash) or will corrupt your settings (where
the following character is a letter etc.)

> 	Change logo path to $wgLogo= "$wgScriptPath/stylesheets/images/wiki.png";

Why would you do this? See above.

> after doing all this I accessed http://localhost/mediawiki-1.4.4/ but it shows error like
>
> Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:\users\mmittal\easyphp1-8\www\mediawiki-1.4.4\includes\DefaultSettings.php:1) in c:\users\mmittal\easyphp1-8\www\mediawiki-1.4.4\includes\OutputPage.php on line 382

Your DefaultSettings.php file is corrupt. Perhaps you have edited it and
added spaces or blank lines at the beginning.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)