[Mediawiki-l] After installing wikimedia I am getting weird errors

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 00:57:17 UTC 2005

I updated the page in question
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_MediaWiki_on_Windows> so that
we don't have this problem again.

On 5/30/05, Ext-Munish.Mittal at nokia.com <Ext-Munish.Mittal at nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have installed basic requirements using EasyPHP on windows2000 and then installed wikimedia.
>
> There are some steps written in installation help on wikimedia.org site :-
>         Edit /includes/DefaultSettings.php

Those instructions are bad. Never, never edit DefaultSettings.php. Do
it in LocalSettings.php (whence it's created).

>         As the first variable declaration, insert $IP="{Actual Pathname of MediaWiki}" e.g $IP = "C:\\EasyPHP\\www\\mediawiki" (note the double backslashes)

Should have been done by installation.

>         Change stylepath to $wgStylePath = "$wgScriptPath/stylesheets";

Should be set already, and that's an old directory.

>         Remove all curly brackets inside strings - anything like "{$this}/foo" should be "$this/foo"

Shouldn't matter.

>         Change logo path to $wgLogo= "$wgScriptPath/stylesheets/images/wiki.png";

Again, should already be set, and that's an old directory.

> after doing all this I accessed http://localhost/mediawiki-1.4.4/ but it shows error like
>
> Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:\users\mmittal\easyphp1-8\www\mediawiki-1.4.4\includes\DefaultSettings.php:1) in c:\users\mmittal\easyphp1-8\www\mediawiki-1.4.4\includes\OutputPage.php on line 382
>
> [snip]

When you edited DefaultSettings.php, some whitespace was inserted
before/after the <?php ?> tags. This was sent, and PHP wasn't able to
send/modify HTTP headers (google for more information on HTTP and
such).

> I am not able to get why these errors appear.Also in Apache error log along with these errors 2 more errors appear:
>
> [Mon May 30 16:56:22 2005] [error] PHP Warning:  Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at c:\\users\\mmittal\\easyphp1-8\\www\\mediawiki-1.4.4\\includes\\DefaultSettings.php:1) in Unknown on line 0

See above.

> Could you please suggest what is the solution.I have been trying for last 2 days but no success.
> Please help.

Restore everything and start over. Copy MW to the folder and go to it
in your web browser. The installer should handle everything. NOTHING
WILL NEED TO BE EDITED!

If you have further problems, please contact us.

-- Jamie