[Mediawiki-l] persistent session problems for two wikis on one server (log into one, always logged out of other)

Julian Rendell wandering.womble at gmail.com
Mon May 30 17:52:33 UTC 2005

Hi there-

We have two media-wiki (1.3.9) based wikis installed on a single
server.  The problem we're facing is that when we log into one of the
wikis, and then go to the other (e.g. two windows/tabs in firefox),
then try to edit in the first, it *always* forces us to re-login.

This *really* sucks :-(.  Everything else is working really, really well.

Some details: the server is running linux/apache2, both wikis have
alias directives in the apache config to do 'index.php' url hiding.
One wiki is limited access, controlled by the apache mod_auth_ldap via
apache access restriction directives.  (Note, we're not using Apache's
own mod_auth_ldap, but an alternate one that supports nested groups.)

Both are on running from the same domain, just different
directories/sub-URLs (e.g. http://foo.bar/wikiA & http://foo.bar/wikiB
.)

I've done some googling/read the release notes, and can't find any
pointers, other than some notes in earlier version release notes that
imply this problem shouldn't be happening.

Any help greatly appreciated, I'm relatively new to setting up
apache/php/media-wiki.

(PS- unless there's a known bug, I don't want to upgrade media-wiki
just to see if that fixes it... unfortunately I don't have a lot of
time to support these sites, and need to 'save' time for an expected
upcoming hardware upgrade, which is when I hope to update the
software.)

Thanks in advance-

Julian