[Mediawiki-l] Editing conflicts question

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 12:32:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:05:37 -0700, Jared Nyland <jnyland at novell.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if the best way to prevent editing conflicts is to use the In Use notice that I have found or is there a global setting for this somewhere that locks the page while someone is editing?

I thought I'd quickly note that, assuming the server in question has a
compatible "diff3" utility installed, MediaWiki should use that to
avoid an awful lot of edit conflicts ever being seen by users. That
is, if two users edit different parts of the same page, the software
will silently accept both edits and merge the changes as though they
were made one after the other.

You may have realised that already, but some people assume they've
simply been lucky not to see the conflict screen lately. :)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]