[Mediawiki-l] what-you-see-is-what-you-get edit program?

Sj 2.718281828 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:41:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:59:47 -0700, Sterling D. Allan wrote:

> I can see that the sheer number of HTML/Wiki code possibilities used in
> mediawiki would make the WYSIWYG task nearly impossible if one wanted to be
> able to enable all possible formatting options.  So the "price" one will pay
> in going with a WYSIWYG editor would be a narrowing of formatting options.
>
> In my case, that is a price that I would be willing to pay because I want to
> make it easy for those brilliant scientists who barely know how to spell.

Or, say, for my mother, who is likewise not going to learn wiki syntax
any time soon.  Just opening an existing page to make a typo edit is
slightly baffling to her.  Especially since by default she doesn't
have section-editing turned on, and figuring out how to scroll to
where you were in the viewable document is... non-trivial.

When I ask regular readers why they don't contribute, the most common
response is they're not experts in anything, they don't feel they have
anything to add.  A close runner-up is that they tried once but got
frustrated; they're not sure where to add an idea, or how the syntax
works; or they don't have time.  The clearer and more intuitive the
editing interface, the faster the learning curve, and the fewer people
who will think they don't have time to figure it out.

--
+sj+