[Mediawiki-l] Error: "Can't find a writable temp directory for the XHTML template..."

Gustaf Alströmer gustaf.alstromer at ouvriere.com
Sun Mar 13 23:34:57 UTC 2005

Hello,

Being a first-time user of mediawiki I faced this message after
successful installation:

"Can't find a writable temp directory for the XHTML template. Check that
the TMP environment variable points to a writable directory, or that the
default temp dir () exists and is writable."

on my wiki:
http://www.ouvriere.com/piratbyran/wiki/index.php

I've set both /tmp and /images to Chmod 777. I'm using Dreamhost.com as
hosting. The installation however seemed to be fine:

    * PHP 4.3.10: ok
    * *Warning:* *PHP's register_globals
      <http://php.net/register_globals> option is enabled.* MediaWiki
      will work correctly, but this setting increases your exposure to
      potential security vulnerabilities in PHP-based software running
      on your server. *You should disable it if you are able.*
    * PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
    * Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
    * PHP's memory_limit is 50M. *If this is too low, installation may
      fail!*
    * Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
    * Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be
      enabled if you enable uploads.
    * Installation directory:
      /home/.valja/ouvriere/ouvriere.com/piratbyran/wiki
    * Script URI path: /piratbyran/wiki
    * Warning: $wgProxyKey is insecure MySQL error 1045: Access denied
      for user: 'root at cognac.dreamhost.com
      <mailto:root at cognac.dreamhost.com>' (Using password: NO)
    * Trying regular user... ok.
    * Connected to database... 4.0.23a-log; enabling MySQL 4
      enhancementsWarning: $wgProxyKey is insecure
    * Database piratbyran exists
    * There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if
      updates are needed...

...ipblocks is up to date.
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...have linkscc table.
...linkscc is up to date, or does not exist. Good.
...have hitcounter table.
Converting links table to ID-ID...
Schema already converted
...have user_real_name field in user table.
...have special page querycache table.
...have objectcache table.
...have categorylinks table.
Creating redirects