[Mediawiki-l] Re: adding language to a category or template

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 09:01:33 UTC 2005

"solo turn" <soloturn at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:e1d4f8cd05061912193649b54b at mail.gmail.com...
> if i add [[fr:infrench]] to a template wikipedia produces an error.
> i'm wondering what happens if you do this with a category.

Having read the subsequent conversation, I think I see what the trouble is.

You appear to think that the link you show above is some kind of
"meta-information" **about** the template, saying that an equivalent
template exists elsewhere. Alas this is not how it works: the system is not
nearly so subtle. The links make it **look** as if that is what is
happening, but until the MediaWiki database is altered to store such
"meta-information" separately this will not actually be possible.

Every article your template is being used will have the text of that
template simply added into it. This means that if you put a Category
designation into a template, every article which transcludes the template
will be attached to that Category. The inter-wiki links work the same way.

Thus there is no way **currently** to show that an equivalent template
exists in another Wikipedia: you have to add a comment to the Talk Page.

HTH HAND
--
Phil
[[en:User:Phil Boswell]]