[Mediawiki-l] Activating Turck MMCache after installation

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Mon Jun 20 08:44:01 UTC 2005

When I set up my first MediaWiki (nice work, btw!), I got "Turck MMCache
not installed", even though I had just installed it. (I assume some app
or daemon needed to be reloaded to detect it -- which one?)

Later, when I installed a second wiki, Turck MMCache was detected, and I
activated it. Seeing the result of the activation in LocalSettings.php,
I uncommented the same line for the other wiki --

    $wgUseTurckShm = function_exists( 'mmcache_get' ) && php_sapi_name()
== 'apache';

The effect was a messed up cache function -- the second wiki's Main_Page
would consistently display in the first wiki. If I selected [Edit] and
Preview, I would see the first wiki's real Main_Page intact, but saving
it would revert the display to the second wiki's front page.

Nikerabbit on #mediawiki irc diagnosed it and I fixed the problem easily
-- whew. But how do I properly activate Turck MMCache for a wiki that is
already installed?

Dave