[Mediawiki-l] WYSIWIG editing; bulk upload

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Tue Jun 14 22:14:48 UTC 2005

aventurer2005-1 at yahoo.com wrote:
> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Is there planned support for WYSIWIG editing, like what you get in
> yahoo email / gmail / blogger / etc. where you see bold/italic/etc.
> updated in place?

Not at present.

While some browsers include tools for WYSIWYG editing of HTML,
MediaWiki's markup is not HTML. Adapting such tools would require
conversion back and forth, which would probably be lossy and difficult
and produce frequently broken, ugly results -- what you see *won't* be
what you get.

Other alternatives are likely to be even more difficult and/or would be
limited in what they could do or how well they might work (eg,
duplicating both the wiki parser and a text editor widget's behavior in
JS+HTML; a Java applet might hypothetically be more reliable but there
are pitfalls there too, besides the general problem of divergence
between parsers and inability for the client to do some things without
the server's access to the database).

If you just want a CMS with WYSIWYG editing, I'm sure there are plenty
out there to choose from.

http://pywikipediabot.sf.net/

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)