[Mediawiki-l] External links in new window?

Sam Rowe mediawiki at samrowe.com
Sun Jan 9 15:54:06 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 01:17:47PM +0100, Morten Blaabjerg wrote:
# I agree generally, that it can be a nuisance when webplaces open pages in new
# windows. But then everything can be abused.
#
# If you want to build a community, it is valuable to be able to differentiate
# between what is going on, on the inside of the site, inside the community and what
# is external from the site. Targeting external links to new windows helps create
# that feeling, overriding user settings.

I realize that this thread is quickly leaving the topicality of the
list, so I'll be brief.

This is a common argument used by people who like to target new
windows. From my perspective, it seems like an argument that could only
be made by someone with total disdain for their users. If your users
can't tell the difference between your site and a site you link to,
A) they're not going to notice that they're now in a new window and
B) even if they did notice the new window, they won't understand *why*
they're in a new window.

Let your users manage their windows.

-Sam