[Mediawiki-l] External links in new window?

Morten Blaabjerg crewscut at mail.dk
Sun Jan 9 12:17:47 UTC 2005

I agree generally, that it can be a nuisance when webplaces open pages in new
windows. But then everything can be abused.

If you want to build a community, it is valuable to be able to differentiate
between what is going on, on the inside of the site, inside the community and what
is external from the site. Targeting external links to new windows helps create
that feeling, overriding user settings.

I want my portal to be friendly also to users, who may not be so familiar with the
internet, and the more so with the wiki concept. Yet I still want to use
interwikilinks and such for key concepts that are best explained elsewhere. I
therefore want my users to familiarize themselves with my site as a safe, local
place, and keep them there, being sent into the abyss of wikimania in wikipedia,
without losing track of crewscut.com.

Is there anyone who has made a hack or extension for the purpose of targeting
interwikilinks and external links to new windows?

Morten :-)