[Mediawiki-l] Caching is making me crazy...

Sebastien BARRE sebastien.barre at kitware.com
Mon Feb 28 21:22:25 UTC 2005

At 2/28/2005 07:58 PM, Rowan Collins wrote:

>The point is, this is a chicken-and-egg problem - if the page is being
>read from cache, there is no way of knowing whether or not it contains
>an extension tag, or any other feature.

Unless I'm missing something, it does seem possible to me, I'm pretty sure
it's done for other features: when you edit the page and save it, it is
parsed and tables in the database are modified accordingly. For example,
the links, categorylinks, imagelinks tables, etc. So at that time, you can
detect an extension tag in the page, and fill an extensionlinks table for
example, with ids of the pages using extensions. You don't even need to
actually refer to any extension, so it would basically be one column if
needed. When it's time to serve the page, check the table to see if that
page uses an extension, otherwise use the cache, etc. Am I correct ?

--
Sebastien Barre