[Mediawiki-l] My Newbie question

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 19:38:53 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 19:01:05 +0000, Jason Davies <ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> >Is there any way to set up a page so that it lists information that
> >people contribute, as well as provides a listing of all the pages that
> >link to it.
>
> not sure I follow you - are Categories going to do the job here? have a
> look at those. You add them at the end of the page.

To be pedantic, but also kind of helpful, I feel I should point out
that adding them at the end of the page is just a *convention* to make
editting them easier. The software will recognise them *wherever* they
come in the wikitext, but they will always *appear* (in the displayed
article) seperately from the main text and *not* wherever in the text
you actually typed them.

e.g. the text:
> A nefle is a [[Category:Fruit]] that ...
will add the article to the category fine, but will show up as something like:
> A nefle is a  that ...
> ----------------------------
> Categories: Fruit

so instead you might use
> A nefle is a [[fruit]] that ...
> [[Category:Fruit]]
so that the first sentence still makes sense after the category link
"disappears"

(See my earlier response for a help page that may or may not explain
it better than that.)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]