[Mediawiki-l] MediaWIki module for Drupal / rename interwiki table?

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Tue Feb 15 19:01:47 UTC 2005

Hi, all. I've co-written a module for Drupal installations that makes
it easier for Drupal sites to link to Wiki pages. The module is
called "wmfilter.module" and can be downloaded at the following URL:

http://drupal.org/node/14980

The module uses the same interwiki table as MediaWiki. We did it this
way because we want to make it as easy as possible in the future to
develop other ways that MediaWiki and Drupal can interoperate. One
issue this has created, however, is the fact that the name of the
module ("wmfilter") is different from the name of the table
("interwiki"). This is a bit of a problem in Drupal, whose modular
design is intended to let people add their own functionality to the
software. To avoid namespace collisions, Drupal encourages module
writers to prefix any new tables associated with their module with
the same name as the module itself.

One possibility for reconciling this dilemma would be to rename
"wmfilter" to "interwiki." However, this isn't a terribly descriptive
name for the module, and in fact the name "interwiki" isn't even
terribly descriptive of the way the table is used in MediaWiki
itself. The standard MediaWiki installation currently comes with a
number of records in the interwiki table that point to non-wiki
websites. In practice, "interwiki" has developed into a table of
general interlinks rather than simply a table of interwiki links. I'm
wondering, therefore, if there would be an interest on the part of
MediaWiki developers in renaming the interwiki table in MediaWiki to
something such as "interlinks" or "linkfilter."

--Sheldon Rampton