[Mediawiki-l] Question to 1.4 installation

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 18:15:53 UTC 2005

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:40:40 +0100, Sabine Cretella
<sabine_cretella at yahoo.it> wrote:
> I modified the main page first and everything seemed ok.
> Then I modified again and the browser just did not show me the changes -
> no way ... even after several re-loads.

My suspicion is that you didn't do a "forced" or "hard" refresh to
by-pass the browser's cache - the exact method depends on the browser,
but generally you have to hold down Shift or Control while doing a
normal reload. So your browser still thinks the old version is
perfectly valid, and doesn't bother downloading a new one.

The other alternative is that MediaWiki itself has cached the wrong
version in some way, in which case adding "&action=purge" to the URL
might have an effect.

> http://www.wesolveitnet.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page
> http://wesolveitnet.com/w/index.php?title=Main_Page

Those two pages look exactly the same to me, which is why I suspect
this is just a caching issue of some kind.

> So do you think it depends on my browser or did I choose a wrong
> directory name (I noted that when editing pages on the wikimedia servers
> it works in a directory called /w).

The directory name shouldn't matter in the slightest. The "/w/" in
wikimedia's setup is just the way the Apache redirects are set up -
"/wiki/Foo" is invisibly redirected to the actual location which is
"/w/index.php?title=Foo" (this explanation may not be 100% technically
accurate, but that's the basic idea).

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]