[Mediawiki-l] Changing the name of my wiki

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 19:18:35 UTC 2005

On 22/08/05, casper.levy at eu.nabgroup.com <casper.levy at eu.nabgroup.com> wrote:
> Hi i would like to change the name of my wiki and have the new name
> reflected in the url's that are used to access the pages. I tried renaming
> all the relevent parts in localsettings.php and also renaming the root
> folder containing the wiki. This almost worked accept when ever i try and
> click on a link away from the front page the link points to a location
> with the old wiki name in it and obviously doesn't find it.  Is there
> anyway to rebulid the mysql database so that all the links are rewritten
> according to the new name?

The first thing you need to do is change all references to the old
directory in your LocalSettings.php (which it seems you already have);
this should cause all pages to be *rendered* with the new link
destinations. To test this, use an edit preview and/or create a new
page, to make sure you're viewing "fresh" content.

The second thing you need to do is eliminate cached versions of pages
with the old-style links - even without any extra software set up,
MediaWiki will store pre-rendered versions of pages rather than
recalculating them on every view. To clear the cache of an individual
page, you can use "&action=purge" (click edit, and replace the "edit"
in the URL with "purge"); editting pages will also clear their cache,
obviously. Clearing the caches of *all* pages is a little more
difficult, but I think the standard parsercache is a single table in
the database, so it may be possible to "drop" and recreate that table,
or delete all data from it.

Another thing to consider is whether anyone will have any links
pointing into your wiki from elsewhere on the Internet. If so, you
should probably look into creating a "ReWrite Rule" so that your
server redirects browsers from old-style addresses to new ones,
instead of all the links becoming broken. To quote (or possibly
paraphrase) a W3C guideline "cool URLs don't change".

HTH
--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]