[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki installation problem

Martino,Amanda K. AMARTINO at mitre.org
Tue Aug 16 14:46:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is even the right forum for installation problems,
but I couldn't find where they were supposed to be posted/submitted so I
figured I'd give it a try. If it isn't, I would appreciate someone
directing me to the right place.

I'm trying to install media-wiki v. 1.4.7 on a Solaris 10 (64-bit)
machine and I'm running into problems during the database
connection/configuration step. Here's the output from config/index.php:

Checking environment...

*     PHP 5.0.4: ok

*     PHP server API is apache2handler; ok, using pretty URLs

(index.php/Page_Title)

*     Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.

*     PHP is configured with no memory_limit.

*     No zlib support.

*     Turck MMCache <http://turck-mmcache.sourceforge.net/>  not

installed, can't use object caching functions

*     Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing

disabled.

*     Installation directory:

/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/mediawiki-1.4.7

*     Script URI path: /mediawiki-1.4.7

*     Connected as root (automatic)

*     Connected to database... 4.0.25-max-log; enabling MySQL 4

enhancements

*     Database wikidb exists

*     There are already MediaWiki tables in this database. Checking if

updates are needed...

*     Granting user permissions...

...linkscc table already exists.

...hitcounter table already exists.

...querycache table already exists.

...objectcache table already exists.

...categorylinks table already exists.

...logging table already exists.

...user_rights table already exists.

...have ipb_id field in ipblocks table.

...have ipb_expiry field in ipblocks table.

...have rc_type field in recentchanges table.

...have rc_ip field in recentchanges table.

...have rc_id field in recentchanges table.

...have rc_patrolled field in recentchanges table.

...have user_real_name field in user table.

...have user_token field in user table.

...have ur_user field in user_rights table.

...have log_params field in logging table.

...have ss_total_pages field in site_stats table.

...already have interwiki table

...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards ...linkscc is up to date, or
does not exist. Good.

Converting links table to ID-ID...

Sorry! The wiki is experiencing some technical difficulties, and cannot
contact the database server.

At first I thought it was some sort of database issue, although I'm not
entirely sure how it could be since it looks like MediaWiki can connect
to mysql and verify tables/users. I have verified my mysql settings
using the "mysql -u root -p" command so I know the password and hostname
I'm giving it are both correct. My system information is:

Solaris 10 (64-bit)

PHP version 5.0.4 installed as an Apache module (not a CGI script)

MySQL version 4.0.25

Apache 2.0.5

PHP, MySQL and Apache were all installed as Solaris packages using
pkgadd -d (again, no idea if this would make a difference at all).

I'm not really sure what else to check or what other information might
be needed to track down this problem; any help anyone would give me
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~ Amanda Martino

~ amartino at mitre.org