[Mediawiki-l] How to secure new wiki? (updated)

Jason Davies ucgajpd at ucl.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 10:59:28 UTC 2005

> > I've read this page:
> >
> >     http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Security
> >
> > but I'd like to know how to require editors to log in first, and how
> > disable account creation.
>
> Add the following lines to LocalSettings.php:
> # Prevent new user registrations - only users with sysop status can
> # create users.
> $wgWhitelistAccount = array ( "sysop" => 1 );
> # You must be a logged in user to edit pages.  Combining this
> # restriction with the previous restriction means we control who can
> # edit pages.
> $wgWhitelistEdit = true;
>
> You should notice that the login page is different - all you'll have
now
> are two boxes for username and password rather than the five seen
> previously.

I posted the other day that I had done this on mediawiki 1.3.1 to no
effect and the consensus was 'upgrade to 1.3.11!' It turns out that we
were running 1.3.11 but the folder was still called 1.3.1. I've added
these lines to no avail. So this is actually a repost of the same
problem. Our wiki is being crippled by spam now and if I can't get this
to work, we have to take it offline soon. As the person who 'sold' them
the idea, i'm being asked to resolve it (and said I thought I could). So
if anyone has any ideas why these lines don't work, I'd be grateful -
otherwise this wiki has to go offline altogether...