[Mediawiki-l] How to secure new wiki? (updated)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Apr 25 11:24:17 UTC 2005

Jason Davies wrote:
> I posted the other day that I had done this on mediawiki 1.3.1 to no
> effect and the consensus was 'upgrade to 1.3.11!' It turns out that we
> were running 1.3.11 but the folder was still called 1.3.1. I've added
> these lines to no avail. So this is actually a repost of the same
> problem. Our wiki is being crippled by spam now and if I can't get this
> to work, we have to take it offline soon. As the person who 'sold' them
> the idea, i'm being asked to resolve it (and said I thought I could). So
> if anyone has any ideas why these lines don't work, I'd be grateful -
> otherwise this wiki has to go offline altogether...

For starters, make sure these lines are *at the end* of
LocalSettings.php, not at the beginning. If they appear before the line
that includes DefaultSettings.php, they will be overwritten.

Confirm that the right file's being used.

Confirm that the spam you're seeing is actually forbidden by the
settings (eg, is it from logged-in users already existing?)

Try the SpamBlacklist extension.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)