[Mediawiki-l] MediaWiki menu

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Oct 29 00:59:34 UTC 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 5:25 PM, NSK wrote:
> On Friday 29 October 2004 03:13, Cian Duffy wrote:
>> right-handed people. As a BeOS user, it would make more sense on the
>
> Can you remind me the name of the company that developed BeOS?

Be.

> People who browse at low resolutions will have difficulty reading the
> content
> if the menu is on the left. A menu on the right will enable these
> persons to
> enjoy the content without horizontal scrolling.

The sidebar takes up equal amounts of space whichever side it's on, so
scrolling is necessary or not depending on the size of the content. A
sidebar on the right makes horizontal scrolling much more difficult
when it happens, however, as the menu and content may end up
overlapping; IIRC we changed the default sidebar position from right to
left in mid-2002 for this reason. (The default is right-side for
languages using right-to-left scripts such as Arabic and Hebrew.)

In the MonoBook skin it's currently fixed to the default; no one's
gotten around to coding up the option to make it user-selectable in
MonoBook.

> Menus on the left are also awful when printing.

The sidebar doesn't appear when printing, so I assume you haven't tried
it.

> BTW how is printing handled in MonoBook?

There is a generic print stylesheet attached via a <link> element in
the HTML output. I would highly recommend you take a look at the HTML
and CSS output to see what's going on; if you have specific questions
about how something works or why something is done in a certain way,
feel free ask in reference to the particular code.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)