[Mediawiki-l] texvc newbie question - Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Thu Oct 28 19:38:12 UTC 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 8:51 AM, Jonathan G. Underwood wrote:
> However, on entering some math content into the wiki and saving it,
> all i get is the following error message as output:
> Failed to parse (Can't write to or create math output directory)
>
> I have tried setting the math directory to be world writeable
> (dangerous I know), to no avail.

Make sure you're looking at the math subdirectory in the upload dir
('images' by default), not the top-level 'math' directory which
contains the texvc source and executable.

If images/math doesn't exist yet, make sure that images is writable by
the web server so that it can be created.

However if you're running in PHP's "safe mode", the directory must be
_owned_ by the user that owns the scripts; if the scripts created the
subdirectory then it is owned by the web server user instead and "safe
mode" is sufficiently anal retentive that it won't let your scripts put
anything else in it. In this case you probably need to create the
images/math directory yourself, and make it writable to the web server.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)