[Mediawiki-l] Editing

Rowan Collins rowan.collins at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 23:35:10 UTC 2004

Yet another answer to this:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 02:30:02 +0200, Terry Jones <tc.jones at jones.tc> wrote:
> Do people have opinions about the best form-editing available in a
> browser? E.g., is editing in a form inside mozilla more or less
> pleasant/configurable than doing so in opera? Is anyone aware of a
> browser that can be (preferably selectively) configured to call out to
> an external program to do editing? (E.g., I can configure opera to pop
> an emacs mail-sending window when I click on a mailto link). Ideally,
> one could configure the browser so that if the current URL matched a
> certain regex then clicking in a textarea widget would cause an
> external program to be run to handle the edit. Does this exist?

Certainly lynx, and possibly other text-based browsers, have a simple
command to edit the content of a textarea in your favourite editor -
once you save, the contents are copied back into the browser. As for
doing this with graphical browsers, my searching on http://mozdev.org
turned up two extensions for Mozilla:
* Electrix (http://electrix.mozdev.org |
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/electrix) which has this as
its sole purpose.
* MoxEX (http://mozex.mozdev.org |
http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/more-info/mozex) which can also assign
external programs for other actions, such as 'view source'

Unfortunately, neither of these seems to have been actively worked on
for some time, which may mean a bit of hacking is required before they
work with more recent Mozilla or Firefox builds, but if you're used to
EMACS, I'm guessing you're not looking for a solution on a plate... ;)

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]