[Mediawiki-l] DB-Prefix, 9930 Chars, Hooks&Filters

Heli Retzek helmut.retzek at asak.at
Sun Nov 28 23:51:40 UTC 2004

I converted from CoMa Wiki to Wikimedia 2 weeks ago, try to explore now
Wikimedias features an options.

Q1: can I use HTML-Mails here in this forum?

Now - after having spent many nights I am stunned about the fact, that
wikimedia seems to have not implemented many things yet, that are rather
obvious and that I accepted before as standard for a wiki-machine, having
looked for some.
Interestingly the one-person project CoMa seems to have many features
seemless implemented in a very efficient way, they seem so obivious that I
assume that I missed it somewhere in the dokumentation of the Wikimedia
project

e.g.
a DB-Prefix so that I can handle several WIKIS in one MySQL - in CoMa every
MySQL-Access is started with TABLE_PREFIX to be able to get that, thats very
very simple but does a great job i think.

      // load page
      if (!$page) $page = $this->LoadSingle("SELECT * FROM
".$this->config["table_prefix"]."pages
                                             WHERE tag =
'".mysql_escape_string($tag)."' ".($time ? "
                                             AND time =
'".mysql_escape_string($time)."'" : "
                                             AND latest = 'Y'")." LIMIT 1");

e.g. the HOOK & FILTER - FEATURES - in Coma you just throw a function in the
action subdir and you simply call it within the Wiki, thus you find many
interesting Plugins ready like:
Polls, Tooltips, Smileys [not for the sake of smileys but instead of each
time hardcode "[[image:pct_arrow_right14.png]]"  to get something like "-->"
Arrow - it would make greatly sense to let that all do certain plugins and
formater within the Wikimedia, that are either or not available in certain
installations, just by throwing them into the directory (and maybe setting a
config-value)]
forms, diagrams, calendar ...

well, another issue: I actually missed a certain discussion to the very
ambitous plug&hooks email last week from Evan Prodromou, is this here really
the developer list?

and finally: anyone has any clue, just any Idea why I cannot save pages
longer than 9930 chars - I asked that question yesterday allready. What
could I test, where to look at - is this a host/server problem or a config.
problem? Can I go back to Wikimedia 1.3.7 to circumvent that?

Tx for reading

HeliR