[Mediawiki-l] GreenZones.org

Jamie Bliss astronouth7303 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 20:47:37 UTC 2004

You are far from the only ones. There are many wikis using MediaWiki
to distribute information about a specialized topic. Several I happen
to help out in:
*Gmail Wiki (http://www.gmailwiki.com/)
*FIRSTwiki (http://www.firstwiki.org/)
*FURCwiki (http://furc.zapto.org/wiki/) (I happen to run this one)

If you need help with a particular feature, first check the User's
Guide (at http://meta.wikimedia.org/), then ask at either the IRC
channel (irc://freenode.net/#mediawiki) or this mailing list.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:35:51 -0800, Christopher Adjani
<christopher at greenzones.org> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Because we are in such an early stage of development, we have no
> technical staff to run the servers or to install / maintain Wikimedia
> engine.

After set up, MediaWiki (the Wikipedia engine) is virtually
maintainence free. MediaWiki is a generic wiki engine. See
http://wikipedia.sourceforge.org/

> We currently host with Spymac, which is running on Linux
> servers.
>
> Would anyone be interested in helping us build Wiki into our site
> GreenZones.org?

You're not the only ones. I would help, actually, but I've got a bunch
of other stuff to work on.

> Like the other Wiki sites, we would like the Green Version to be
> connected to the larger Wiki community to make sure all the information
> and content is available to everyone, everywhere in the world.

InterWiki links. [[Wikipedia:InterWiki]]. They're how seperate and
specialized wikis connect to each other.

> [snip]

-- Jamie