[Mediawiki-l] Some Solaris installation progress

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Nov 3 20:45:56 UTC 2004

On Nov 2, 2004, at 6:34 PM, poster wrote:
> If I go straight to the web server by telnet, I can definitely
> confirm nothing is being output from the script:
[snip]
> Connection to reclaimdemocracy.org closed by foreign host.

Odd... No output is typically caused by PHP/Apache crashing, but there
actually are headers returned (you need to put HTTP/1.0 at the end of
the GET line to see the headers returned; otherwise it dumps the
content only without any headers). Can you check Apache's error_log
just in case?

Try disabling the gzip output filter. Remove these lines from near the
top of LocalSettings.php:
	## Compress output if the browser supports it
	if( !ini_get( 'zlib.output_compression' ) ) @ob_start( 'ob_gzhandler'
);

It shouldn't be having any effect, since my telnet test doesn't ask for
gzip and I still get nothing. But try it just in case...

Also, try disabling the PHPTal skin; a few people have reported
intermittent PHP crashes exacerbated by changes to the PHPTal template
(possibly caused by a bug in their PHP accelerator module?) Set in
LocalSettings.php:
   $wgUsePHPTal = false;

That will revert to the 'old' appearance of MediaWiki 1.2 and earlier,
which uses different output code paths.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)