[Mediawiki-l] Install problem with 1.2.0?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Wed Mar 24 18:34:42 UTC 2004

On Mar 24, 2004, at 09:27, Steph Smith wrote:
> I edited the LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php files as
> directed, ran
> the classic install (not the web-based installer), and everything
> seemed to
> go through just fine.
>
> However, after running the installer, the following files are empty:
>
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10
> LocalSettings.php
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10 Version.php
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10 index.php
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10 redirect.php
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10 redirect.phtml
> -rw-rw-r--   1 arakune  arakune         0 Mar 24 12:10 wiki.phtml

It looks like you're trying to install in-place. The destination
directory MUST NOT be the same as the source directory with the classic
install.

First, copying files over themselves destroys them, as you've seen. :(

Second, the maintenance scripts are very unsafe to have sitting around
in a web-accessible directory (they are disabled if you run the web
install). If using classic install, you must install from a different
directory from the final destination.

I'll add more warnings...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)