[Mediawiki-l] In-place installation coming

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Mon Mar 1 13:28:39 UTC 2004

There've been lots of complaints about the MediaWiki installation
script over time, and with good reason! We don't actually use it for
Wikipedia since it doesn't fit our needs (centralized repository of
scripts for over a hundred wikis with near-identical config), nor does
it fit the needs of a lot of people trying to set up their own wikis,
who often don't have shell access to their web servers or root access
to the database.

I've checked in the beginnings of a new install script that doesn't
require shell access, root database access, or a separate place to put
the source files and the installation. You can just unzip the archive,
copy the directory tree to your web space, and run the configuration
script through the web like with any civilized PHP app with relatively
minimal fiddling.

At the moment it can create a configuration file that works with an
existing database, but doesn't yet do the database setup. I'll try to
get that merged in from the old command-line install script tonight or
tomorrow and release 1.2.0rc2 with it included.

(Tech note: we need to be sure that the maintenance scripts aren't
dangerous to have sitting around.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)