[Mediawiki-l] Restrict editing to registered users?

=James Birkholz= j.birchwood at verizon.net
Fri Dec 31 06:07:03 UTC 2004

I'm looking at using the MediaWiki software on my genealogy website for a
genealogy wiki.
I've (just) got an installation running and will be reading the manuals,
but have a burning question that I don't see addressed in the Table of
Content's.

This wiki won't have near the traffic of a WikiPedia, but will deal with
topics (History) that are often controversial and I wish to have a little
more ability to control "troublemakers" who only use edit wars.

1) Is it possible to configure MediaWiki to restrict article editing to
registered users? Or does this go against the concept too much?
2) Is it possible to require a valid e-mail address to register?

If not, I would look at modifying the code (I work in php a little). In
such a case, would anyone object to such a modification?

3) Is there any reason that I couldn't copy some articles (snapshot) from
WikiPedia into my "GenWiki" if I note the source with something like "Some
of the above text originally published at WikiPedia (link)"? Or "This
article was derived fully or in part from an article on Wikipedia.org - the
free encyclopedia. "?

James Birkholz
admin, Posen-L mailing list and website
http://www.Posen-L.com