[Mediawiki-l] Re: howto setup MW for a SourceForge project?

Thomas L Roche tlroche at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 30 22:28:13 UTC 2004

Tom Roche Thu, 30 Dec 2004 00:43:53 -0500 -----

Brion Vibber Thu, 30 Dec 2004 12:32:51 +0000 (UTC) -----
>> Yes

Indeed!

http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3052&group_id=1
> ^ Project Database Creation » |  doc feedback |  support

>     To have a MySQL database created for your project, please have a
>     Project Administrator for your project make use of the Database
>     Admin tool within the Project Admin pages for your project.

>> and yes you can, as longa s you trust every sourceforge member who
>> is on one of the thousands of hosted projects to poke at your
>> database (including access to password hashes).

True that--but given that we will have no confidential information in
the wiki, and the DB itself will be on SF, I believe we can take the
risk.

Following is my implementation plan: I'd appreciate if youse could
reality-check and correct any omissions (un)found. Each stage prereqs
any preceding:

0 setup

1 wiki restricted

2 wiki public

3 site transformation?

<stage=0>

Setup: I will

* distribute DB id/pw to other admins

* install MW (request more space if needed)

* install phpMyAdmin (or preferred tool, but SF recommends phpMyAdmin)

* setup SF basicauth for MW and pMA frontends and distribute id/pw

* install minimal content, verify minimally-correct operation

Required deliverables:

* normal MW functions correctly working with minimal content

* at least one successful manual DB backup

</stage=0>
<stage=1>

Wiki goes live but with access restricted to small "beta-user"
group responsible for

* providing initial structure and content

* ensuring that backups (including versioning) are suitable (e.g.
  automatable)

Required deliverables:

* normal MW functions correctly working for all users

* core content installed, usably structured

* at least two periodic DB backups (e.g. daily cron job)

* at least two periodic versionings (e.g. daily commits of wiki
  contents to a CVS module, running from crontab using wix (or other
  tool) for file access)

* at least one "complete restore": delete all wiki content, restore
  from backup or repository

</stage=1>
<stage=2>

Wiki goes live alongside current project home page:

* basicauth removed from wiki front page

* SF project page>Home Page continues to link to current project home
  page

* Current project home page gains a "Wiki" link in the navbar,
  otherwise no change.

"Voyage of discovery" (perhaps stress testing the backup/restore
functionality :-)

Required deliverables:

* happy users

* happy admins

</stage=2>
<stage=3>

Transformation. Wiki front page becomes project home page? Generate
docs from wiki for File Release? I suspect we'll have more ideas
during stage 2.

</stage=3>

Am I missing anything?