[Mediawiki-l] WYSIWYG editor for MediaWiki

Patrick Atoon patricka at rapdict.org
Wed Dec 8 21:38:03 UTC 2004

Simon Tse wrote:

> Has anyone here implemented a WYSIWYG editor for MediaWiki? If so, what
> did you use and how do you like it? The reason is that some of our
> writers are still scared to look at the wiki markup.

I'm not sure a WYSIWYG editor would solve my problems; most people that
edit my site do not use markup at all, and most that try accidentally
(I hope) delete other parts of interesting info on a page - if not the
entire page.

I'm not sure a WYSIWYG editor would help in those cases. Some people
just shouldn't be allowed near computers. ;-)

Seriously, though... Editing a wiki takes some effort to structure your
thoughts. In my (short) experience, most editors don't want to put in
that effort, they just want to undo the wrong they see. Providing easy
markup isn't going to fix the lack of structured thought. In fact, I
think it is going to add more <h1>-<b>-<em>-my-edit-is-so-important
kind of edits.

Greetings,

Patrick

   Patrick Atoon ___________________ mailto:patricka at rapdict.org