[Mediawiki-l] mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable?

Brion Vibber brion at pobox.com
Fri Aug 6 19:01:03 UTC 2004

Rene Pijlman wrote:
> I've installed Mediawiki 1.3.0beta5 on a Linux Debian Woody
> (3.0, stable) machine.
>
> Now when I try to use Special:Askasql as sysop I get the error
> message:
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_thread_id() in
> /home/rene/projects/carriere/www/wiki/includes/Database.php on
> line 461
>
> This must be because woody has PHP 4.1, and mysql_thread_id()
> was introduced in PHP 4.3.

That bit is not strictly necessary; wrap it in a version check:

(in Database.php)
	function startTimer( $timeout )
	{
		global $IP;
		if( version_compare( phpversion(), "4.3.0", "gte" ) {
			# This will kill the query if it's still running after $timeout seconds.
			$tid = mysql_thread_id( $this->mConn );
			exec( "php $IP/killthread.php $timeout $tid &>/dev/null &" );
		}
	}

If you have a runaway query you'll have to wait for it to finish or kill
it manually.

Please let us know if anything else is broken on 4.1.2; that's our
minimum supported version and only because Debian takes twenty years to
put out a stable release. ;) However it's not really tested very often.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)