[Mediawiki-api] Disambiguations in Database

Andrew Dunbar hippytrail at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 10:48:38 UTC 2009

2009/2/10 Vanessa Tejada Muñoz <vatemu at gmail.com>:
> :S I don't want to disturb anyone.
> I'm preparing my master thesis and I had several ideas about MediaWiki and
> disambiguation pages.
> I was looking for information, no more.
>
> Thanks for all.
>

> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.kattouw at home.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Vanessa Tejada Muñoz schreef:
>> > Goodbye.
>> >
>> Whoa, the goodbye part wasn't meant literally. "End of story, goodbye,
>> the end" is just a quote from a movie.
>>
>> My point was that you kept asking for something that isn't there, even
>> though we said it wasn't there multiple times.
>>
>> Roan Kattouw (Catrope)

Disambiguation is not currently a MediaWiki software concept, it is a
Wikipedia content concept. That doesn't mean it's not a good candidate
to become part of the MediaWiki software. It's such a firmly
entrenched idea that it makes good sense to be able to query it and
thus for it to become part of MediaWiki and the database structure.

Of course not all projects using MediaWiki have the disambiguation
concept. Most Wiktionarys for instance do not use it. My conclusion is
that a disambiguation extension would be useful.

The alternative is to use the API to access categories and do some
parsing of the wikitext. This is plausible if you are interested in
only a single project and a single language. If you wish to query many
language Wikipedias your parser would need to be able to cope with
many natural languages. If a disambiguation extension were to be
developed there would be far less need to parse many languages.

Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)