[Maps-l] Optimizing style sheets for map-tile rendering

Kai Krueger kakrueger at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 14:57:36 UTC 2011

On 12/17/2011 05:09 PM, Kay Drangmeister wrote:
> Hi Kai et al,
>
> Am 14.12.2011 05:58, schrieb Kai Krueger:
>> P.S. I had to disable a bunch of styles from tirex as they were causing
>> troubles including regular crashes of mapnik. [...] bw-noicon style.
>
> Could you please point me to some log file or give me some
> hint where / why bw-noicon is crashing tirex?

Unfortunately not. Unlike the other styles I disabled that threw errors
on startup, the bw-noicon didn't show any obvious errors.

The problem was that the mapnik backend died frequently and if all
backends died, tirex-backend-manager appears to go into a livelock. The
logs showed that the last tile processed was a bw-noicon and after I
disabled it, the issue went away.

I have re-enabled bw-noicon now though at we'll see if the problem
reappears or if it was caused by something else and just coincidence.

 Since it is
> automatically derived from the original osm-mapnik style
> I am a bit reluctant to introduce any manual changes, but
> if it helps speeding up rendering, I'm trying.

For low zoom rendering, it would be good if you can try and use the "no
buildings index" on the planet_polygon table. I will try and make those
changes on default style as well, so perhaps you can rederive it from
there then?

Kai