[Licom-l] Updating site terms

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue May 26 17:46:18 UTC 2009

As per the Board resolution, we should now begin planning for a
systematic update of all relevant license terms in all projects in all
languages. The texts aren't final yet; in particular, I'd like to
resolve how to deal with externally imported content more clearly in
the terms for the editing page. But, we should think about the steps
that we need to take to update the terms.

What I think we'll want to accomplish is the following:

1) Introduction of new system messages in English for all affected
projects, overriding existing messages.
2) Community translation of these messages.

I'm not sure how to best achieve 1) - do new system messages
automatically override any local translations? If not, do we have to
give the messages a new key, e.g. MediaWiki:Licensing(something)-new?

I would suggest that we create a new MediaWiki message for detailed
licensing terms: I think those have traditionally resided in the
Project: namespace which isn't really the best place for them (they're
intended to be highly official and not modified except where
necessary).

Regarding 2), because we can't monitor community translations
effectively, I think we'll want to make sure that wherever there's a
translation of licensing terms into another language, there's a link
back to the English original. If we put this link in the message,
people can remove it by editing it. Do we care? My assumption is that
we will just trust people, and issue guidance that this link cannot be
removed (and also state so in the actual page that's being linked to,
and protect it).

Thoughts?

--
Erik Möller