[Licom-l] SecurePoll tally procedure

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Mon May 4 22:59:38 UTC 2009

2009/5/2 Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com>:
> Okay, I've managed to update one of my private wikis and install the
> SecurePoll extension.
>
> After poking for a while I think I now understand the tally procedure.
>  (For future elections we may want to have a discussion about a
> simpler process, but for now I think we can make this work.)

Thank you for being on top of this, Robert. Let me know if WMF or I
personally can be of assistance - otherwise let's touch base later
this week.

> It should be fast to tally once we are ready.  We probably should also
> have a plan in place for who, when, and where gets informed about the
> results.  The current plan calls for the Board to be informed before
> the public, but leaves open issues such as how far before, when the
> WMF office is informed, and what channels are used to communicate to
> the public.

After checking in with the Board, I haven't heard anyone saying they
wanted to change the process, just Ting's affirmation that LiCom
should be the entity announcing the results to the public.  So,
aspirationally, if you have a result on May 10, you would share it
with the Board (which would share it with senior management at its own
discretion), and the Board would be given an opportunity (let's say 7
days) to provide any additional feedback and framing to be published
alongside the result. This might include an official resolution
already. The LiCom would then run its (currently being translated)
CentralNotice to point to the results page. After that, in the event
of an affirmative decision, we'd aim to implement the actual change
over the weeks ahead.

Later this week I'll send some more thoughts on an action plan for
actually implementing the change in the event that it passes, to nail
down the timeline further - I don't think we can hit a May 22 date,
even if we finish the tally on time, as there are a few open issues
which we need to resolve prior to posting any revised terms.

--
Erik Möller
Deputy Director, Wikimedia Foundation