[Labs-l] Spring Cleaning

Petr Bena benapetr at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:09:37 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew and other folks

If you really want to reclaim space you will need to null the empty
space. The filesystem you are using on instances don't support this.
There may be tools for this, or you can just dd if=/dev/null
of=/tmp/empty_file until disk is 100% full. That will remove the
unused data on disk and overwrite them with zeroes.

The data of files don't get removed from filesystem even if you delete
the files, just leading inodes get removed, so it looks like it's
free, but the data are still in there.

P.S. my instances are tiny and I still <3 them. Don't delete please